“What is love” is a question without a definite answer and with billions of answers. People have been trying to find the perfect definition for centuries, and it’s still not found and can hardly be found in the future. The thing is that love is more than a word, more than a feeling, more than everything in the world. As one famous man said, it’s what makes life worth living. Although the best answer to this question doesn’t exist, there are a lot of meaningful and deep quotes describing this wonderful feeling. If you want to know more about love, you should definitely look through them to find a saying that’s the best definition for you personally.
What is the Definition of Love?
To be in love means to feel a wide range of emotions that hardly can be put in words. A lot of books and articles were written about it: some tried to explain this feeling by chemistry, some argued that love is more like the passion that will fade away with time, some note that this feeling is similar with friendship and based on mutual respect and understanding plus sexual tension. The number of rational, emotional, scientific, romantic hypothesis is nearly infinite, but such a variety allowed us to understand that love is complex. It’s a feeling, purpose, friendship, kindness, passion, desire, patience and even a little bit of disease.
Love is different, and the disputes about the kinds of love continue to nowadays. Can we compare love for parents, love for our significant others, love for our friends, or these are the essentially different feelings? Still, all these difficulties and complex classification won’t stop humanity from trying to find a perfect definition of love. We personally think that the trick is that everyone finds the best definition depending on his own story. Do you agree, and if you do, what’s your story about?
Love is a Feeling
A feeling for another person so pure and sacred that nobody can define it to its true extent. It is what a person feels for another without any kind of physical or mental barrier between them. They live purely to be with the other to share experiences, pleasures, problems, and pain.
Love is a Purpose
A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved.
Love is Kindness
Real love means loving kindness and compassion, the kind of love that does not have any conditions.
Love is the Desire
Lust is the desire for their body.
Love is the desire for their soul.
Love is a Gift
Love’s greatest gift is its ability to make everything it touches sacred.
Love is a Disease
A widespread incurable disease which is known to affect mind and sometimes the body. Symptoms may include: Affected judgment, lightheadedness, eye-watering, chest pains, and increased need to be with the person who infected you. Is known as highly contagious and can be deadly.
Love is the Powerful Force
Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.
Love is Care
When you care for someone so much, you put their needs ahead of your own, even if sometimes it really hurts.
Love is Patience
“Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offence. Love keeps no score of wrongs; does not gloat over another’s sins, but delights in the truth. There is nothing love cannot face; there is not limit to its faith, its hope, and its endurance. In a word, there are three things that last forever: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of them all is love.” (1 Corinthians 13)
Love is Chemistry
The final result of the natural chemical blending of unrelated feelings that one holds toward another, which, once synthesized, create an emotion that is independent of the confines of time or the elements of this existence. Though the vitality of that said emotion inevitably weakens and falters, never does it truly filter.
What Does Love Mean to You? – Different People’s Answers
The thing is that love means different things to different people, and that’s normal. Everything depends on so many factors from personality traits to age and life priorities. That’s why the contrast between the definitions is so striking: people talk about absolutely different things that mean more to them. Some stress that love is understanding and support, some note that love is always an act of selflessness, some emphasize that love is just the stage of true friendship’s evolution, some focus on passion, some on gentleness, and this list could be extended indefinitely. There is a separate category of people that tell that there is no love, and all we can do with that is to respect their opinion even in spite of the fact that they are probably wrong.
Particular attention should be given to the answers of children who seem to understand what love really is even better and deeper than adults do. Their explanations of love are often more touching and vivid than quotes of the wisest men in human history. The last ones, however, also have deep meaning and are pretty diverse. After all, that’s just a matter of taste. In this section, you can find the answers of people of different age, gender, and profession. Who knows, maybe one of them describes what you feel perfectly.
- “I guess to me, it means that you fall more and more in love with the person that you plan to spend your future with every day. It means you can really be yourself with each other because you love each other for all of the quirks and flaws you have.”
- “When you feel at home with yourself or with another person.”
- “Love is caring for someone else deeply and unconditionally. Love is being motivated to be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be because you are so passionate about the other person.”
- “I think love is the most important thing in the world. It’s what keeps us together. I think love is found in the simplest things and it is the one thing that we all need so desperately.”
- “Love to me is a feeling you get when you know that you’re with someone you never want to be without.”
- “I think love is sacrificial. It is putting another person before yourself consistently and selflessly. I think love means setting aside things you want or things you feel like you need in order to meet the other person’s needs. Love is all the things in 1 Corinthians 13. Patient. Kind. Not jealous. Not proud. It always protects, perseveres. And it never fails.”
- “Love… I believe this word gets tossed around more than it should. It’s more than just a simple word and can have a lot of meanings. Just to name a few: trust, commitment, best friends, communication, willingness, arguments and tenderness.”
- “Combination of passion, commitment and intimacy according to psychology. Uh I would say that you don’t need to question what love is if you’re experiencing it, it’s just there.”
- “When you love somebody, it doesn’t matter if they’re gone for a little while or forever. You still find a way to love them.”
- “Love is selfless and unconditional. It means putting somebody else’s wants, needs, and goals before yours and never letting them lose sight of it.”
Beautiful Quotes Explaining What Love Means
When you are in a relationship, you should always remember that saying warm words about love is a must, not because it’s a tradition, or a politeness but because it really makes relationship stronger. Heartfelt phrases in the morning or cute messages in the evening are a kind of reminders that your soulmate always thinks about you. Of course, such sweet gestures only strengthen love, while silence and ignorance are what can destroy it. To be in love means to speak about love. However, what to do if even “I love you”, the most wonderful phrase in the world, has already been said for thousands of times? What to do if you feel like it’s not enough to describe how much you miss the person who means a world to you despite you said goodbye to each other this morning, not a month ago?
Well, a lot of famous scientists, writers, artists have said something about love. Some of these sayings are metaphoric, some are inspirational, and some are really close to the explanation what really is. This unique base of information about love is our main advantage! We can use these wonderful quotes to inspire ourselves to say something really beautiful to our soulmates, parents or friends, help us better understand ourselves and the nature of our feelings, or help us understand what kind of love we are looking for.
- “Love means to commit yourself without guarantee.” – Anne Campbell
- “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” — Hermann Hesse
- “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” — Victor Hugo
- “Love in its essence is spiritual fire.” — Seneca
- “Love is a game and true love is a trophy.” – Rufus Wainwright
- “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.” — Lao Tzu
- “True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen.” – Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- “If love means that one person absorbs the other, then no real relationship exist any more. Love evaporates; there is nothing left to love. The integrity of self is gone.” – Ann Oakley
- True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. It is, on the contrary, an element calm and deep. It looks beyond mere externals, and is attracted by qualities alone. It is wise and discriminating, and its devotion is real and abiding.
- “Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is not virtue at all.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton